We are therefore looking for one Sawmill Production Supervisor at our Elk Lake location in Ontario.
Reporting to the General Superintendent, the Sawmill Supervisor will be responsible for direct supervision and monitoring of Sawmill production employees, procedures and objectives.
Also, the incumbent will be expected to lead improvements in safety, productivity and quality in the sawmill department for continuous improvements.
- Monitor and maintain production volume, yield, quality (including lumber stacking) and uptime while maintaining a safe working environment respecting all applicable legislation and company policies. (log yard, Chip-N-Saw, Edger, Trimmer, Cut-Off, Saws, filing room etc).
- Must continually monitor and accommodate the mix of primary resources of wood, manpower and machinery to ensure optimum value and quality.
- Prepare and present production reports and analysis for production follow-up. (shift reports, time sheets, manning).
- To monitor machinery and equipment performance and report any mechanical deficiencies to maintenance personnel.
- Assist in maintenance prioritization and planning activities to minimize downtime and departmental communication and coordination of activities.
- Make recommendations concerning modifications to existing equipment or processes and/or the acquisition or disposition of physical assets to maximize production results.
- Monitor and follow-up on determined performance indicators (health and safety frequency, fiber consumption, transformation costs, hourly productivity, product quality, on-time delivery).
- Lead and motivate the workforce in executing all activities directed towards a safe, productive, and efficient sawmill operation.
- Implicated in sawmill and log yard operations, equipment selection to maximize operation results and standards are met. (safety, productivity, quality and costs).
- Implicated with planer department and other departments to ensure quality requirements of the mill are met and exceeded.
- Identify and promote employees training and tools implementation for better operational results.
- Identify and recommend long term changes to production targets, products and flow.
- Engage personnel and solve interpersonal issues that could arise within department and responsible for performance evaluation process with Sawmill production employees.
- Ensure that safety issues/concerns (addressed through workplace inspections and monthly Safety Contacts) are adequately performed and that any issues requiring follow-up are attended to in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all Environmental regulations, both company and government are followed without exception.
- Demonstrate Mobilizing leadership
- Result-Oriented and Team player
- Good organizational and Time management skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Good communication and coaching skills
- Strong ethic, integrity and judgment.
- Post Secondary diploma or collegial degree in wood products or forestry field with at least 5 years of experience as Sawmill Supervisor.
- Experience in managing a team of Operational Technician and general labor in unionized environment;
- Strong experience in employee performance management
- Knowledge of continuous improvement principles of Sawmill operation.
- Proven Health and Safety accountability and are knowledgeable of occupational health and safety.
- Knowledgeable on lumber manufacturing including equipment, processes and products
- Must be fluent in both written and spoken English; French is an asset.
- Knowledgeable in the areas of electrical, mechanical, fabrication/welding and PLC programming is an asset.
- Advanced computer skills, usage of integrated Sawmill production systems.
If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us of any particular adaptive measures you might require. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
EACOM offers equitable pay, excellent benefits, pension with employer contribution and more. Please note only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. EACOM is an equal opportunity employer.
The masculine gender is only for abbreviation.