We are looking to hire a MILL MANAGER for our NAIRN CENTRE Sawmill that will be responsible for managing mill operations by focusing on customer satisfaction at the lowest possible cost.
The incumbent will carry out his duties by using the available human, financials and material resources. He will maintain and improve competitiveness and profitability of the operating unit.
- Will manage a group of approximately 150 people within a unionized context. Will plan, organize, direct, coordinate and control mill activities including activities to support production (quality, shipping, maintenance, health and safety, human resources and environment).
- Prepare and submit operating budgets and capital expenses. Manage approved budgets in order to attain determined performance indicators (health and safety frequency, fiber consumption, transformation costs, hourly productivity, product quality, on-time delivery).
- Develop and maintain a work climate that favors the mobilization and commitment of human resources including internal and external partners.
- Assure staff development and training by optimal use of their skills.
- Key role in organizational changes, planning, hiring and onboarding new staff, based on current practices.
- Determine the number and type of continuous improvement activities required to attain and exceed performance indicators.
- Optimize the saw line/planer and adapt other production components in order to maximize productivity or remedy operating difficulties. (Controlling stacking quality, drying schedules, round wood inventory (humidity/diameter) and inventory rotation.
- Coordinate the service and manufacturing equipment suppliers in order to optimize maintenance and maximize operation.
- Responsible for dealing with regulating authorities and ensure the company is compliant.
- Mobilizing and coaching leadership, ability to provide supportive feedback and to deal with conflicts.
- Ability to influence and to lead the team to reach determined objectives.
- Strong planning, organizing, prioritizing, time management and delegation skills.
- Strong work ethic, good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated skills in operation analysis, Continuous Improvement and problem solving.
- Capacity to instill a sense of urgency.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Post Secondary Education Degree in Wood Tech, Engineering, or Business preferred or equivalent.
- 5 to 7 years in a similar position or 7 to 10 years in the sawmill industry within various positions.
- Experience working in a sawmill business with financial and labor relations concepts responsibilities.
- Demonstrated track record of success to raise operational performance.
- Previous experience in a union environment.
- Knowledge and relevant experience in Continuous Improvement principles and tools.
- Knowledge and ability in utilizing computerized systems.
- Must be accessible following operational needs required by the position.
If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us of any particular adaptive measures you might require. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
EACOM is an employer that respects equal opportunities in employment.
The masculine gender is only for abbreviation.